ASCRS honored many outstanding accomplishments and announced the award of traveling and international fellowships during the Annual Meeting in San Antonio. Presentation of special awards and awards for best podium presentations, best posters, impact paper published in Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, and best video were among the meeting’s highlights.
Following is a summary of major awards and fellowships.
Best Paper by a Surgical Resident—Podium
- The Canadian Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Award, Vanessa P. Ho, G. Nash, J. Milsom, S. Lee, New York, NY, Risk Stratification Model for Recurrence and Poor Outcomes in Diverticulitis Patients
- The Chicago Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Durand Smith, MD Award, Hye Y. Kwon, I. Kim, J. Kang, Y. Park, K. Lee, S. Sohn, Seoul, Republic of Korea, In Vitro Adenosine Triphosphate-based Chemotherapy Response Assay as a Predictor of Response to Fluorouracil-based Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Stage II Colorectal Cancer
Clinical – Podium
- The New England Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Jamie Cannon, L. Altom, R. Deierhoi, M. Morris, J. Richman, K. Itani, W. Henderson, M. Hawn, Birmingham, AL, Boston, MA, Denver, CO, Oral Antibiotics with Mechanical Bowel Preparation Reduce Infection after Elective Colorectal Resections
- The Northern California Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Dana M. Hayden, S. Jakate, M. Mora Pinzon, A. Francescatti, M. Brand, T. Saclarides, Chicago, IL, Tumor Scatter after Neoadjuvant Therapy: Are We Dealing with an Invisible Margin? A Pilot Study
- The Ohio Valley Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award,Katharine Jackson, R. Glasgow, B. Hill, M. Mone, B. Sklow, C. Scaife, X. Sheng, W. Peche, Salt Lake City, UT, Does Travel Distance Influence Length of Stay in Elective Colorectal Surgery?
- The Pittsburgh Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Karl A. Zimmerman, MD Award, André D’Hoore, A. Stuto, B. Van Geluwe, F. da Pozzo, S. Fieuws, P. Lehur, Leuven, Belgium, Heterogeneity of Scoring Systems in Obstructed Defecation Syndrome Assessment after Stapled Transanal Rectal Resection: A Report from a Systematic Review
- The Midwest Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons William C. Bernstein, MD Award, John P. Burke, R. O’Connell, G. Lennon, D. Keegan, D. O’Donoghue, J. Hyland, K. Sheahan, P. O’Connell, Dublin, Ireland, The Effect of Connective Tissue Growth Factor Polymorphisms on Surgical Recurrence Following Terminal Ileal Resection for Crohn’s Disease
- The Pennsylvania Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Daniel S. Gingold, Z. Murrell, P. Fleshner, West Hollywood, CA, A Prospective Evaluation of the Ligation of the Intersphincteric Tract Procedure for Anal Fistula in Patients with Crohn’s Disease
- The ASCRS Bart Hoexter, MD, Best Video Award, Sarah Vogler, S. Goldberg, Minneapolis, MN, LIFT Procedure: Surgical Tips Learned from 4 Years of Experience
2012 ASCRS Best Paper - Traveling Fellow Award - ESCP Meeting, Deborah A. Nagle, MD, T. Pare, E. Keenan, K. Marcet, S. Tizio, V. Poylin, Boston, MA, ‘Ileostomy Pathway’ Virtually Eliminates Readmissions for Dehydration in New Ostomates
2012 Traveling Fellow Award - United Kingdom, Pokala Ravi Kiran, MD, M. Kalady, L. de Campos-Lobato, L. Stocchi, D. Dietz, J. Church, V. Fazio, I. Lavery, F. Remzi, Cleveland, OH, Is Adjuvant Chemotherapy Overkill for Stage II Rectal Cancer after
Diseases of the Colon and Rectum (DC&R) Awards
The Robert W. Beart, MD, 2011 Impact Paper of the Year Award, Anders Mellgren, S. Wexner, J. Coller, G. Devroede, D. Lerew, R. Madoff, T. Hull, SNS Study Group, Minneapolis, MN, Long-term Efficacy and Safety of Sacral Nerve Stimulation for Fecal Incontinence
The Victor W. Fazio, MD, MS Award for Editorial Excellence, In recognition of her outstanding work on behalf of Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, Lisa Poritz, MD, Hershey, PA
ASCRS Research Foundation Awards
- 2012 Mentor Award, Julio Garcia-Aguilar, MD, New York, NY
- 2012 Research Forum Works In Progress Award, Melissa Heffler, V. Golubovskaya, W. Cance, K. Bullard Dunn, Buffalo, NY, Louisville, KY, FAK and HAS Inhibition Synergistically Decrease Colon Cancer Cell Viability