Awards honor accomplishments, papers, presentations, posters, video
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
ASCRS honored many outstanding accomplishments and announced the award of traveling and international fellowships during the Annual Meeting in Vancouver. Presentation of special awards and awards for best podium presentations, best posters, impact paper published in Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, and best video were among the meeting’s highlights.
Following is a summary of major awards and fellowships.
- Harry E. Bacon Foundation Award, Rischabh Sehgal, MB BCh; A. Berg; J. Hegarty; Z. Lin; L. Poritz; W. Koltun; Hershey, PA, Mutations in IRGM are Associated with More Frequent Need for Surgery in Ileocolonic Crohn’s Disease Patients.
Clinical – Podium
- The Michigan Society Of Colon And Rectal Surgeons Award, George Chang, MD; Y. You; I. Park; H. Kaur; C. Hu; M. Rodriguez-Bigas; J. Skibber; R. Ernst; Houston, TX, Can Pretreatment Rectal MRI Predict Response to Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation Therapy?
- The New York Society Of Colon And Rectal Surgeons A. W. Martin Marino, Sr., MD Award, Pravin J. Gupta, MS; S. Taori; Nagpur, India, Doppler-guided Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation Does Not Offer Any Advantage Over Suture Ligation of Grade 3 Symptomatic Hemorrhoids.
- The Northwest Society Of Colon And Rectal Surgeons Award, Anil George, MRCS, MS, MD; K. Kalmar; K. Kopanakis; S. Sala; A. Panarese; R. Nicholls; C. Vaizey; London, United Kingdom, A Prospective, Single-blinded, Placebo-controlled Study into the Role of Percutaneous and Transcutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation for Fecal Incontinence.
- The Piedmont Society Of Colon And Rectal Surgeons Award, Rocco Ricciardi, MD; N. Baxter; T. Read; P. Roberts; P. Marcello; D. Schoetz; Burlington, MA, Who Performs Proctectomy for Rectal Cancer in the US?
Basic Science – Poster
- The New Jersey Society Of Colon And Rectal Surgeons Award, Jung-Wook Huh, MD, PhD; H. Kim; Y. Kim; Gwangju, Republic of Korea, Distribution of Lymph Node Metastases is an Independent Predictor of Survival for Sigmoid Colon and Rectal Cancer.
Clinical – Poster
- The Southern California Society Of Colon And Rectal Surgeons Award, Donghee Lee, MD; S. Jung; J. Kim; M. Shim; S. Shin; M. Park; Daegu, Republic of Korea, The Technical Benefit of the Peritoneo-Fascial Suture Method for Ileostomy Closure.
- ASCRS 2011 International Fellowship Awards, Zahidul Haq, MD, Dhaka, Bangladesh; Amir Keshvari, MD, Tehran, Iran.
- ASCRS 2011 International Traveling Scholar, Carlos Barberrousse, MD, Montevideo, Uruguay; Mariano Laporte, MD, Buenos Aires, Argentina; Sanjay Kariappa, MD, Cantervury, Australia.
The Robert W. Beart, MD, 2010 Impact Paper of the Year Award, C. Pastor; A. Artinyan; M. Varma; E. Kim; L. Gibbs; J. Garcia-Aguilar; San Francisco, CA, Duarte, CA, An Increase in Compliance With the Surgical Care Improvement Project Measure Does Not Prevent Surgical Site Infection in Colorectal Surgery.
The Victor W. Fazio, MD, MS Award for Editorial Excellence, In recognition of his outstanding work on behalf of Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, Scott Steele, MD, Fort Lewis, WA
- The ASCRS Bart Hoexter, MD, Best Video Award, Alessandro Fichera, MD; M. Zoccali; R. Gullo; Chicago, IL, Single Incision Laparoscopic Total Proctocolectomy for Refractory Crohn’s Colitis.
- Best Rectal Cancer – Podium, In Memory of Dr. Gerhard F. Buess, Funded by Richard Wolf Medical Instruments Corporation, Matthew Kalady, MD; L. de Campos-Lobato; P. Kiran; L. Stocchi; D. Dietz; J. Church; V. Fazio; I. Lavery; F. Remzi; Cleveland, OH, Is Adjuvant Chemotherapy Overkill for Stage II Rectal Cancers after Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation?
- Best Rectal Cancer – Poster, In Memory of Dr. Gerhard F. Buess, Funded by Richard Wolf Medical Instruments Corporation, Marjun Duldulao, MD; Z. Chen; Z. Liu; X. Deng; C. Warden; W. Li; J. Garcia-Aguilar; Duarte, CA, DNA Copy Number Variation Predicts Lymph Node Metastasis Following Preoperative Chemoradiation Therapy in Patients with Rectal Cancer.
- 2011 ASCRS Traveling Fellow Award – ESCP Meeting, Matthew F. Kalady, MD, Cleveland, OH
- 2011 Traveling Fellow Award – United Kingdom, Jason Hall, MD, Burlington, MA
Research Foundation Awards
- 2011 Research Forum “Works in Progress” Award, J. Sanchez; K. DeJulius; J. Church; M. Kalady; Cleveland, OH, Novel p5 Mutation Associated with Colorectal Adenocarcinoma in Crohn’s Disease.