Nine Regional Awards selected by members of the Awards Committee and presented during the 2010 Annual Meeting in Minneapolis honored outstanding papers, posters and videos submitted by researchers, committee chair Dr. Robin P. Boushey, Ottawa, ON, Canada, reports.
The 2010 honorees are:
Best Paper by a Surgical Resident – Podium:
- The Canadian Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Award, Katherine Smith, BMBS; Dermot Burke, MB, ChB, PhD; Paul Finan, MD; Pam Jones, DPhil; and Philip Quirke, BM, PhD; Leeds, United Kingdom, Lymphatic Vessel Distribution in the Colorectal Wall and Potential Implications for T1 Colorectal Tumors.
Basic Science – Podium:
The Chicago Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons Durand Smith, MD, Award, J. Calvin Coffey MD, PhD; Fiachara Rowan, MD; Neil Docherty, PhD; P. Ronan O’Connell, MD; Dublin, Ireland, Desulfovibrio Species are Increased Ulcerative Colitis.
Clinical – Podium:
- The New England Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Matthew F. Kalady, MD; Awad Jarrar, MBBS; Lisa LaGuardia, BSN; Margaret O’Malley, BS; Brandie Leach, MS; Charis Eng, MD, PhD; and James M. Church, MD, ChB; Cleveland, OH, Defining Phenotypes and Cancer Risk in Hyperplastic Polyposis Syndrome.
- The Northern California Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Drs. Anders Mellgren, Steven D. Wexner, John A. Coller, Ghislain Devroede, Tracy Hull, Richard McCallum, Miranda Chan, Jennifer M. Ayscue, Abbas Shobeiri, David Margolin, Michael England, Howard Kaufman, William Snape, Ece Mutlu, Heidi Chua, Paul Pettit, Deborah Nagle, Robert Madoff and Darin R. Lerew, Minneapolis, MN, Long-term Efficacy and Safety of Sacral Nerve Stimulation for Fecal Incontinence.
- The Ohio Valley Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Nick West, MB, ChB; Kate Sutton; Peter Ingeholm, MD; Werner Hohenberger, MD, PhD; and Philip Quirke, BM, PhD; Leeds, United Kingdom, Improving the Quality of Surgery in Colon Cancer Through Surgical Education.
Anorectal Surgery – Podium:
- The Pittsburgh Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Drs. Steen Buntzen, Paul-Antonie Lehur, Shane McNevin, Anders Mellgren, Soren Laurberg and Robert Madoff, Arhus, Denmark, Magnetic Anal Sphincter for the Treatment of Fecal Incontinence: A Preliminary Report.
Basic Science – Poster:
The Midwest Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons William C. Bernstein, MD Award, Lara Williams, MD; Robin Morash, RN; Salome Shin, BA; Jennifer Smylie, RN; Husein Moloo, MD; Rebecca Auer, MD; Eric Poulin, MD; Joseph Mamazza, MD; James Watters, MD; Michael Fung-Kee-Fung, MD; and Robin Boushey, MD, PhD; Ottawa, ON, Canada, Successful Implementation of a Communities of Practice Model to Facilitate Quality Improvement Initiatives in Colorectal Cancer Surgery.
Clinical – Poster:
- The Pennsylvania Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award, Toru Kono, MD, PhD; Yuji Omiya, PhD; Atsushi Kaneko, PhD; Tatsuya Suzuki, MD; Takashi Koseki, DVM, PhD; Yoshiki Hira, MD, PhD; Naoyuki Chisato, MD, PhD; Tsuyoshi Watanabe, MD, PhD; and Yutaka Kohgo MD, PhD; Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan, Daikenchuto Improves Bowel Microvascular Dysfunction and Inflammation in Animal and Clinical Studies of Crohn’s Disease.
- The Bart Hoexter, MD, Best Video Award, Drs. Mehmet Ayhan Kuzu, H. Acar and A. Aslar, Ankara, Turkey, Perineal and Pelvic Anatomy of Extralevator Abdominoperineal Resection for Rectal Cancer: Cadaveric Dissection.